Any Children's Books to Special Needs Topics to Other Kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Children's Books to Special Needs Topics to Other Kids

Hi! Do any of you use a children's book/ picture book to introduce a topic related to special needs? Does this help you or your children talk/ learn more about disabilities? What children's books did you enjoy reading to your children?

Books based on the "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" television series really help us address issues like managing emotions, empathy, and self confidence with our son. He is 4 years old and was diagnosed on the spectrum last summer. He loves watching this series and having us read the books to him and he remembers a lot of the easy to learn mantras and songs in the books: they help him calm down during meltdowns and other difficult times. There is even a character in one of the episodes, "Chrissy" who has a physical disability and the characters talk about it.

Comment

....My Friend Mikayla is a great book for children ages 7-10. You can get it on amazon.

Comment

Here are a few other good books in addition to all of those great suggestions. We’re Amazing 1,2,3! A Story About Friendship and Autism Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper story about a girl who cannot walk or talk but when given a computer that she can communicate with everyone realizes she is mentally able. Meet ClaraBelle Blue (The ClaraBelle Series #1) by Adiba Nelson, Elvira Morando, and Ilene Serna another story about a girl with cerebral palsy. this is a picture book that explains disabilities. El Deafo by Cece Bell this book is about a little girl who loses her hearing and she describes her hearing aid as her superpower. We’ll Paint the Octopus Red by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen and Pam DeVito a book about a girl who's brother is born with down syndrome. I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Comment

Working...
        X